The United States of America is NOT a Democracy

…And it never was.

A Democracy is a form of government where the people directly participate in the creation of laws and decisions about the country’s affairs.
Imagine a world where every person votes about every law that is proposed, and each decision is made by majority rule.

A Republic is a system of government whereby decisions are made by a governing body, which consists of members that are chosen by the votes of the people.

A Constitutional Republic is a Republic in which the powers of the governing body are restricted by a Constitution. Sound familiar?

Rule by Law, versus Rule by Majority.

“A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine”

-Thomas Jefferson

“Democracy cannot succeed unless those who express their choice are prepared to choose wisely. The real safeguard of democracy, therefore, is education”

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

In other words, a Republic is governed by law, more specifically its aforementioned Constitution, and thus its policies, decisions, and actions are limited with respect to the inalienable rights of the individual as spelled out therein.

A Democracy is mob rule. In a true Democracy, if 51% of the population voted for genocide against the other 49%, the government would be obligated to oblige.

Its disturbing to me how many people don’t understand the foundations of the country that they proclaim to love and defend, and how frequently I hear the exclamation that “You can’t do that! Here in America we have a Democracy!”

No… we didn’t, we don’t, and we shouldn’t.

Think about all those irrational fears you have:

In a Democracy, the Constitution would mean precisely dick.

Remember back when the USA’s racist white majority used to enslave their fellow man?
It’s pretty widespread these days that that is a horrible thing to do.
In a Democracy, however, Lincoln would have been unable to simply issue the Emancipation Proclamation.
How do you think that popular vote would have went?

Worried about “Sharia Law”?
In a Democracy, Sharia Law could become a reality, with a simple majority vote.

Don’t eat meat? Want to raise your child on a vegan diet, perhaps?
In a Democracy, if the majority wanted to ban vegan diets in school, they could do that.

Think about every time you’ve heard some idiot say “There ought to be a law…”
Think about how many other idiots would agree with that idiot.
In a Democracy, the power of the idiot reigns supreme.
There is no constitution to stand in the way.

The United States of America was founded as a Constitutional Republic.
This is why the Constitution was considered important. It is literally the only thing standing between your inalienable rights, and a horde of idiots.

Now consider how many times recently you’ve seen court decisions and executive actions in direct violation of the US Constitution.
Read the statement above about why the Constitution was considered important again.
Realize why you should be angry. Realize why you should care.

The United States of America was founded as a Constitutional Republic.
It is one no longer.

One thought on “The United States of America is NOT a Democracy”

Leave a Reply